Being a diehard lover of books I know how hard life can be when you look around but find not enough people who understand what it truly is like to be a bibliophile. What the others don’t understand is that you don’t simply like the act of reading, you love it. And it’s probably the time when you are happiest. Not to mention the unbounded joy of finding a friend who is a bibliophile just like you! So here’s a couple of things, that I’m sure all you book lovers out there will be able to understand and relate to.
1. Going to a bookstore and only coming out when you’re broke
Yeah, we’ve all faced this. You step in the store thinking you’ll buy only one book and you walk out with a stack of them and an empty wallet because the presence of books just makes you want to stay there forever.
2. Smelling books
Admit it, you’ve all done this at some point of time. It doesn’t matter if the book is old or new, the smell is something that you simply can’t get enough of!
3. Reading so many books at once that you lose track
There are always times where you start reading a book before you finish another and the pile of unread books just messes up the storyline that plays in your head.
4. Getting angry when people interrupt you while reading
If there’s one thing you hate, it’s being talked to while you’re reading. If only the other people would understand!
5. Reading at least once in a day no matter how busy you are
It doesn’t matter if you have an important test the next day, reading is something that is simply as important as eating.
6. Getting cranky when you haven’t read in a while
If it has been more than two days and you haven’t picked up a book then you tend to get cranky and irritable until you finally get the time to read. It’s a wonder how people fail to understand that!
7. Liking book characters more than people in real life
It’s undoubtedly true, characters in books are much better than real people. You don’t know why you even have to put up with them.
8. Your Friday nights involve a cup of coffee and a book
Blanket + book + hot beverage = perfection.
9. Having a crush on fictional characters
There’s a list of crushes that you have, and sadly it has more fictional character names than real ones.
10. The agony of getting over character deaths
If you’ve read A song of Ice and Fire then you’re an expert in this department.
11. The horror of one of your favourites being turned into a terrible movie
Percy Jackson, Eragon, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; need I say more?
12. The dilemma while trying to pick one favourite book or author
One does not simply have one favourite book. Even Boromir knew that!
13. The excitement of finding someone reading a book you’ve read
You simply can’t help yourself from squealing and pointing like a group of adolescent girls at a fantasy boy band concert.
14. You get personally offended when people say negative things about a book
Did the guy next to you on the bus say that reading is stupid? You have no choice but to punch him in the nose like Hermione did to Malfoy.
15. The happiness of dating someone who quotes books like you do
The magic of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty pales against a date who greets you with the words, “ValarMorghulis” and says goodbye with “Ave Atque Vale”.