IRCTC is the e-ticketing arm of Indian Railways and Tatkal tickets can be booked through the internet via the IRCTC website or through counters at computerized passenger reservation centers.
To avoid the misuse of the Tatkal scheme, passengers get no refund in case of cancellation of confirmed. Tickets except in some special circumstances. According to the rules, the refund of fare and Tatkal charges on confirmed tickets booked under Tatkal scheme are granted only under special circumstances like if the train is delayed by more than three hours or the train is to run on a diverted route.
You can book Tatkal tickets for the AC classes one day in advance of the actual date of the journey starting from 10:00 am in the morning and for the non-AC classes from 11:00 am. Usually, maximum of the tickets are booked within minutes of the Tatkal quota opening.
Starting from the month of May, Railways has taken some more steps in order to avoid and replace the online Tatkal booking system:
1. For a single user ID, only 2 tickets can be booked under tatkal from 10:00-12:00 hours.
2. Only one Tatkal ticket in a single session is allowed except for the return journey.
3. Per IP address, only 2 tickets are allowed between 10:00-12:00 hours.
4. Authorised agents are not allowed book Tatkal tickets during first half an hour of the opening of reservation so that they don’t corner tickets during at the time of opening of booking of Tatkal system.
5. To prevent the cornering of tickets at the time of opening of Tatkal and advanced reservation period bookings by the agents, they are not allowed to book the tickets between 8:00 am to 8:30 am, between 10:00 am to 10:30 am, and between to 11:00 am to 11:30 am.
6. There has been a captcha implemented in registration, login and booking pages to check fraudulent booking through the automation software.
7. One Time Password (OTP) method has been made compulsory for all the internet banking payment options.
8. Imposition of minimum time limit before proceeding for payment gateway as well as after making payment while booking tickets through internet.