Match 14, April 20, 2016
The defending champions Mumbai Indians take on Royal Challengers Bangalore at their home ground Wankhade Stadium on Wednesday, April 20, 2016. Both MI and RCB have formidable team line up amongst all the teams in the tournament. But the recent results for both the teams have not been in their favor. Speaking about MI, barring the win against Kolkata Knightriders, they have lost the other 3 matches out of 4 total games played.
MI seems to be struggling with their team line up. With the coming of Martin Guptil as a replacement for injured Lendl Simmons, their biggest concern is the choice of the top order. After the openers collapsed early in their last game against Sunrisers Hyderabad, it was Ambati Rayudu who helped them to achieve a decent score. Jos Butler who was in a good form in the WT20 Cup hasn’t been able to continue his form. Hardik Pandaya has proved to be a liability for team rather than being an asset. The team management needs to sit down and make some tough but apt decisions for the team.
On the other hand, RCB who started off with an awesome win against Sunrisers Hyderabad, faced defeat against Delhi Daredevils. Skipper Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers are going strong and performing very well for the team. One big misery for RCB is the form of Chris Gayle who has a score of 0 and 1 in the 2 games played. Another worry for RCB is the injury of their lead bowler Mitchel Stark who has been ruled out the tournament. A positive point for team RCB is the form of Shane Watson, who has been contributing well with both bat and ball.
Head to Head Comparison:
|2008||1||RCB||won by 5 wickets|
|2008||1||MI||won by 9 wickets|
|2009||2||RCB||won by 9 wickets|
|2009||2||MI||won by 16 runs|
|2010||3||RCB||won by 7 wickets|
|2010||3||MI||won by 57 runs|
|2010||3||MI||won by 35 runs|
|2011||4||MI||won by 9 wickets|
|2011||4||RCB||won by 43 runs|
|2012||5||RCB||won by 9 wickets|
|2012||5||MI||won by 5 wickets|
|2013||6||RCB||won by 2 runs|
|2013||6||MI||won by 58 runs|
|2014||7||RCB||won by 7 wickets|
|2014||7||MI||won by 19 runs|
|2015||8||MI||won by 18 runs|
|2015||8||RCB||won by 39 runs|
Total Matches : 17
MI Won : 9
RCB Won : 8
The two teams share a very close record with MI leading with only 1 win. It will surely be an interesting clash and a treat for viewers.
Players to look out for MI :
- Tim Southee : With their lead bowler LasithMaliga out of the team due to injury, Southee looked good in the last match against SRH. He can also contribute with bat for quick runs.
- Ambati Rayudu : With a fifty in his last innings, he surely must have gathered confidence. He needs to continue from where he left.
- Krunal Pandaya : Unlike his brother, Krunal is doing good for his team with both bat and ball.
Players to look out for RCB :
- Virat Kohli : He has to be at the top of this list. He seems to be doing nothing wrong at all. With the great form that he is in, he surely can change the game for his team.
- AB de Villiers : With two fifties in two matches just like Virat, he is going great. He will hope to continue his form to help his team achieve a big total if they win the toss.
- Shane Watson : Watto as he is fondly called, completes the winning formula for the RCB team. His all-round performance is a boon for his team.
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) : Virat Kohli (c), AB de Villiers, Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Kedar Jadhav (wk), Mitchell Starc, Adam Milne, Sarfaraz Khan, Mandeep Singh, Yuzvendra Chahal, Harshal Patel, Stuart Binny, Kane Richardson, Samuel Badree, , Akshay Karnewar, Iqbal Abdullah, Sachin Baby, Vikas Tokas,Travis Head, Praveen Dubey, Vikramjeet Malik.
Mumbai Indians(MI) : Rohit Sharma (c), Lendl Simmons, Parthiv Patel, Harbhajan Singh, Lasith Malinga, Kieron Pollard, Tim Southee, Vinay Kumar, Martin Guptill, Jos Buttler (wk), AmbatiRayudu, Mitchell McClenaghan, Unmukt Chand, Marchant de Lange, AkshayWakhare, Corey Anderson, NitishRana, Siddhesh Lad, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Shreyas Gopal, Jitesh Sharma, Deepak Punia, Suchith, Kishore Kamath, Nathu Singh, Krunal Pandya
MI had a similar start in the last edition of IPL (2015) but they went on to win the title for the second time. Let see if they can manage to repeat the performance.
Check out the highlights from an older match between MI and RCB: