Match 16, IPL Season 9, April 22, 2016
The sixteenth match of this edition of IPL sees a face-off between MS Dhoni led new franchise Rising Pune Supergiants and Royal Challengers Bangalore. The match starts at 8pm on Friday and will be held at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune. Both RPS and RCB come into the game with two consecutive defeats.
The hosts RPS who many think is the reincarnation of the tainted Chennai Superkings has one of the best team line up with cricketing giants like MS Dhoni, Faf Du Plessis, R. Ashwin, Albie Morkel, Thisara Perera and Irfan Pathan. Skipper Dhoni would be working on to get the right team combination. More than batting, RPS needs to work on the bowling department as the bowlers haven’t supported well in the last two matches.
Just like their opponents, RCB whose strength lies in the power packed batting, are struggling with their bowling unit. In the batting domain, with classy players like Kohli, De Villiers, Watson and the new talent Sarfaraz Khan, RCB can demolish any team. One big set down for RCB is the absence of Gayle who has flown back to his home following the birth of his child. They need to work on their bowling line up as this is the main course of worry for the team.
As this is the first match between the two franchises, we won’t be able to provide the head-to-head comparisons.
Players to look out for Rising Pune Supergiants:
- Faf du Plessis: The opener has looked good so far in the last three games. He needs to bat well and provide a good opening for his team.
- Steve Smith: Aussie Skipper will be hoping to strike a good innings and score some biggies.
- Ajinkya Rahane: He would be hoping to give the selectors a good look to his consistency. Rahane would be hoping to accompany du Plessis in getting good start.
Players to look out for Royal Challengers Bangalore:
- Virat Kohli: Though it was a short innings in the last match against Mumbai Indians, the Indian star would be hoping to continue with his good form that he has shown till now.
- AB de Villiers: Mr.360 doesn’t seem to do anything wrong these days apart from his last innings. The viewers are hoping to see an entertaining innings from the Proteas.
- Shane Watson: We are picking Watson for his bowling this time. He has been the best bowler for the RCB team till now. He needs to stop the opponents with his economical spell. A few wickets wouldn’t also hurt the Aussie.
Rising Pune Supergiants (RPS) : MS Dhoni (c), Kevin Pietersen, Irfan Pathan, ThisaraPerera, Steven Smith, Faf du Plessis, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mitchell Marsh, Ashwin Murugan, Ishant Sharma, Rajat Bhatia, Ashoke Dinda, Scott Boland, Peter Handscomb, RP Singh, Adam Zampa, Ishwar Pandey, Deepak Chahar, Jaskaran Singh, Baba Aparajith, Ankush Bains, Ankit Sharma.
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) : Virat Kohli (c), AB de Villiers, Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Sarfaraz Khan, Mandeep Singh, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kedar Jadav (wk), Mitchell Starc, Adam Milne, Harshal Patel, Stuart Binny, Kane Richardson, Samuel Badree, Travis Head, Praveen Dubey, Vikramjeet Malik, Akshay Karnewar, Iqbal Abdullah, Sachin Baby, Vikas Tokas.
Check out a video from a previous RCB match :